TDA in Supporting value chain addition & market access
TDA implementing "Supporting value chain addition & market access for SHG farmers’" project in Humbo and Abala Abaya districts; Wolaita Zone
since December 2018 in collaboration with Tearfund New Zealand and Tearfund UK to benefit 9,000(M3,150, F5,850 as directly and 45,000 (M15,750, F29,250) community members indirectly.
- Create market-focused self-help groups and market zones (CVM); Enable them to manufacture items that cater to the market and increase their revenue through their current companies;
- Implementation of new technologies that are more advanced in terms of post-production management and value addition;
- To boost production and productivity; to adapt farming to climate change; and to gain from the introduction of better value brands.
- They gather and keep their goods at market zone level and bargain rates with legitimate vendors to sell them so that they might profit in the long term.
- 18 SHGs have established relationships with Savings and Loans. Each of them saved 20 thousand to 55 thousand birr.
- 318 SHGs have created a plan centered on the market and worked to promote sales within their market zone. (Beans, Corn, Lablab, Cow peas, Pigeon peas, Mung bean etc.)
- According to the calculation of income and cost analysis, 27 SHG groups that produced cassava together and added value to their goods had a profit of 634,500 birr.
- By raising sheep and goats and selling them, 203 SHG groups generated a profit of up to 5000 Birr from each.
- Twelve SHG groups by adding values of cassava they made a profit of 89,350 Birr.
- By selling 31 quintal of cow peas for seed, they made 124,000 birr.
- 5 SHG group members generated a profit of 135 000 by selling local vareities maize seeds.
In the budget year totally 510 SHG groups have, on average, saved 7,236,605 birr from interest and capital punishments; also 6,639 members also started to work in other additional income-generation activities.
What we learned:
- The ability to produce goods with a focus on the market, aggregate and sell all at once will result in higher profits.
- Involvement of women in development initiatives is essential for success and sustainability
- The cluster level model has the ability to transform the market from a commercial field to an agricultural field
- It has been discovered that the market system begun for grain also generates market chances for other crops and pets.
Serving the whole person!